Saturday, October 25, 2014

STEM + Art = STEAM

Creating Connections between Science Curriculum and Families

~Creating an NGSS-aligned science curriculum for Betterlesson.com has inspired me to truly involve my first graders' families in our learning!~

Aligning with the NGSS Life Sciences standards for first grade, my unit revolves around external features and patterns of behaviors of birds.  Check out my unit on Betterlesson.com (coming November 2014).

At the beginning of this unit, I sent home a packet of bird-themed activities like recipes, art projects, and more, that families could make at home.  Here's a link to the free packet, on www.teacherspayteachers.com.  http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Bird-themed-crafts-1518188

Here are some sample pages and crafts from the packet.  I pulled together most of the ideas from Pinterest!  Plus, some were ones I have fond memories of completing as a child~ like the peanut-butter-covered pinecone bird feeder.










It was so exciting as parents started emailing pictures of their children working on bird feeders and crafts at home!  Here is some of the astonishing work that came in!






STEAM projects also make personalized, meaningful hallway displays that students are proud to show off!
To create a hallway display, I first hung a branch with fishing string.  Then, I hung some of the unique bird creations, which truly "fly" when people walk by!


Next, I photographed and printed pages from student Science Journals.  I created a bulletin board that incorporated both the artwork and the science curriculum ~ a STEAM project!


This project was so meaningful to me because I love connecting with families!  I hope to work with a local nature center next and plan a birding trip on an upcoming weekend for first grade families!

No comments:

Post a Comment