Monday, September 15, 2014

Science *Every* Day in First Grade
It's really important to me that my students have science *every* day, but how can that happen?  I have incorporated science as a center during my Daily 5 independent work!  In order to justify placing it in the ELA block, it had to incorporate both reading and writing skills.  

The NGSS standards call for our littlest scientists to be making observations and communicating them... well, that sounds like writing to me!  What a great way to incorporate nonfiction text features like labels and captions with student drawings, and math skills like nonstandard measurement and comparing sizes!  Here's a link to my NGSS Grade 1 Pinterest Board!

Here are some science bins, with specimens and related books.  I am also hoping to get a project funded on www.donorschoose.org for more related books!
My son has been collecting dead bugs in our backyard now too, and putting them in sealed petri dishes!  
And here's my magnet bin, filled with items from my kitchen junk drawer.  Does it stick?

 Here, we aren't just observing shells, we are comparing textures, sizes, and shapes.  We can also identify what used to live inside by finding the shells in books!
Here's my grade-level-partner's science center!  Isn't it just adorable with the lamp and green drape?!?





Plus, each student will have a science journal for recording their observations!


Science Rocks ~ sometimes literally.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment